Does making homemade pizza intimidate you? I promise making homemade pizza does not have to be hard or scary. It is super easy, cost-effective and quick to prepare.
For more easy dinner ideas check out my go to week night meals
This recipe is adapted from Canola Eat Well. It is actually the dough recipe for flatbread. However it makes the softest, perfectly chewy, airy dough for pizza.
My husband is a pizza aficionado and even he approves it makes a delicious pizza. Our picky toddler also loves this pizza.
Homemade Pizza Recipe
To make the dough you will need:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tablespoon canola oil
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1/4 warm water
1 tsp sugar
Add to the dough (measure separately):
3/4 C warm water
1 C flour as needed
- Proof the yeast. Stir together active dry yeast, 1/4 C warm water and sugar in a bowl. For the warm water use your tap water at its hottest setting. Or water between 105 F and 110 F. Let sit for 10 minutes until yeast is bubbly and doubled in size.
- Mix together the flours and salt. Then add in the proofed yeast and 3/4 C warm water (same temperature as above) and canola oil. Stir together to begin to form a soft dough.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured dough mat and kneed. Gradually adding in more of the 1 C of extra flour to make a soft dough
- Once the dough is springy to the touch, coat a bowl lightly with canola oil. Turn dough in the bowl to coat in oil. Cover bowl with a towel and let rise for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 F
- After one hour punch down the dough and turn onto a lightly floured dough mat.
- Roll out dough into the desired shape (circle for pizza pan or square if using a rimmed baking sheet).
- Spread pizza sauce on the dough, shredded cheese and toppings. I used cheddar cheese, cooked crumbled sausage, stir fried finely chopped broccoli and pickled jalapeno peppers
- Bake in preheated 450 F oven for 15 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Other pizza topping ideas
- chicken, pineapple, hot peppers and mozzarella
- broccoli, caramelized onions, cheddar cheese
- chicken, pesto, goat cheese and sundried tomato
- ham, egg and cheese breakfast pizza
- minced garlic, zucchini, olive oil, and red pepper flakes
- sliced ham, brie and sliced green apple
Visual Instructions for Homemade Pizza
- 1 cup all-purpose flour to add to the dough (small bowl)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, and 1 teaspoon salt (large bowl)
Proof the yeast by stirring together 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast, 1/4 cup warm water and 1 teaspoon sugar.
After 10 minutes yeast is double in size and foamy.
Here’s a closer look at the proofed yeast.
While the yeast is proofing stir together the flour and salt in a bowl.
Next mix together the proofed yeast with the flour mixture, 3/4 cups warm water and 1 tablespoon canola oil.
A soft dough begins to form
Add more flour as needed to create a soft yet held together dough.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured dough mat and knead together. Add flour as needed so that dough is not sticky.
Once dough is springy to touch, form into a ball.
Lightly coat a bowl with canola oil, roll dough in oil, cover and let rise for one hour.
After one hour turn the dough out onto lightly floured dough mat. Using a lightly floured rolling pin roll out the dough into the desired shape. A pizza pan or baking sheet can be used to cook the pizza.
Next, spread on pizza sauce, cheese and toppings
Bake in preheated 450 F oven for 15 minutes.
Let cool on cooling rack 5 minutes before serving.
I promise this pizza is super easy to make. It’s a great recipe to make with kids. You could split up the dough and make mini pizza’s. Or double the recipe to make two pizza’s.
I’ve also made the dough a few hours ahead of time and let it rise extra with no problems.
Watch how to make the pizza:
Pin it for later:
*Affiliate links used